Here in this lesson, you will learn all about SEO and What are some SEO mistakes that may prevent you from reaching the top. So let us start the lesson…
I will be covering the following points:
- Why SEO?
- Difference between organic and paid results
- Upgrading in 2019
- Some mistakes
- Google ranking factors
- Ranking signals
- SEO ranking factors
- Major mistakes
- Myths about Google rankings
- Keyword planning
SEO: Sail on search engines, Evolve consistently, Out-perform everyone!
If you are running an online business that intends to churn out leads through digital platforms and online mediums then you might have come across the term SEO.
Search Engine Optimization encompasses a broad range of tools. And techniques that could prove to be your survival kit while battling your way towards the top tiers of the search results.
To look good and to create an impression on others, we often dress up and present ourselves uniquely. By being our best we manage to attract others and the same principle works in SEO albeit in a bit different way.
Keyword optimization, which is the most basic SEO tool. Uses the set of keywords that not only relate to your business. But also resonate with the potential customers and clients.
In the current scenario,
SEO involves the optimization of social media profiles and incorporates all the finer aspects of digital marketing as well.
Content marketing, link building and innovative SERP techniques like optimization of quick answers and snippets are some of the latest SEO trends that will define the future of SEO experts and gurus in 2019.
Today, we will take a brief look at the evolving SEO tools, key benefits of SEO and SEO techniques that will provide long term returns for your business.
This question might have sounded logical if someone would have asked it a couple of decades back when the concept of SEO was still in nascent stage and marketers had no clue how impactful the online channels would be in the future.
However, if someone is riddled with this question today. It simply means that he or she is not observing
We all know the impact of digitalization and internet on today’s generation. There is hardly a thing they will buy without researching it enough on the internet.
If your website ranks in the search results, you will naturally gain more visitors and even if you are not selling products on your portal. The accumulated traffic or user database will help you gain more adverts and earning opportunities.
Some of you might say that I do not want to gain through Google ads and online selling but only wish to use digital footprints to grow my business.
However, for that too you need a strong user database that could be only gathered by propelling your website on the search engine results.
Understanding the difference between organic and paid search results
SEO experts use two types of techniques to improve your search engine rankings which can be broadly classified into organic methods and paid tools.
Organic search results are based on what a user types on his/her keyboard. Therefore, they are natural, unpaid and risk-free as you are not using black hat techniques to boost your website’s rankings.
On the other hand, paid search results are achieved using paid tools that advertise your website on the top of the search results.
As a result, they are pricey, risky and sometimes do not directly relate to the keywords typed by the users. They are riskier because overuse of paid tools can get your website blocked by the search engine.
Also, a smart user will understand the difference between organic and paid results and will tend to ignore the paid results particularly if they do not match his/her search criteria.
Paid tools are effective where direct selling is involved but organic methods derive better results in the long run because they can only be achieved by quality content and smart deployment of digital mediums. To understand it more clearly let us take an example.
Suppose that a user has searched ‘best vegan bakers in U.S’ and your paid tools have earned you a spot in the search results but vegan cakes are not a part of your menu. Naturally, you will fail to make any profit and it can also create a negative impression of your brand in the minds of the visitors.
Upgrading SEO techniques in 2019
Traditional SEO techniques like keyword research, quality content, backlinking your website on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
They are still very effective and they will certainly help you sustain your website’s position in the search rankings.
However, to be effective in the long run and to improve your search engine rankings you will have to invent new ideas as well.
Image & voice search
The use of voice search and image search is rapidly increasing and to keep up with this demand of the millennials, the website owners will also have to focus on optimizing their content based on voice and image search.
People find it amusing to talk to a virtual assistant rather than typing. And if you start posting relevant images on platforms like Google, Facebook, Amazon, etc.
Chances of your image getting clicked and followed back to your website
As a result, you are able to draw huge traffic to your website which will gradually reflect in your search engine rankings.
A snippet or featured snippet is one aspect of the search results that have been ignored for too long. Snippets are nothing but the search results that a search engine produces when a user types a particular keyword or query.
A recent study made on the Google search results exposed the fact that more than 30 percent of the search results reflect attractive snippets at the top of the search engines even for general keyword searches.
Snippets with images tend to get more clicked and this is certainly where you can make an improvement this year.
Link building can be defined as attracting traffic on your website by posting the links of your business on affiliated sites, social media pages, groups, and much more.
This concept has been around from quite some time now. And certainly is one the most reliable methods to improve your search engine rankings.
However, if you are thinking for the future you must try to establish connections. And links that are more related to your business and which also add some value to your products and services.
Establishing business tie-ups with social media partners will give you great insights on link building and social engineering but everyone cannot afford that.
If you are a start-up, you can make use of guest posts. Also,build links on content rich blogs and fixing broken links might solve your problem.
Click here to learn more about creating backlinks: https://seocrunch.org/link-building-tactics/
Well-Written content will naturally attract more visitors and will also help you to gain loyal readers. Bloggers merge the power of content writing and keyword research to a good effect and due to this. You can see blogs doing much better than other sites when it comes to search results.
However, meaningless keyword stuffing should be avoided as it is not lucrative in the long run. Readers get frustrated when they feel that the information is less relevant or merely a wordplay.
Google takes site ratings seriously and if the users do not find your blogs. Content useful they will naturally vote it down and this will affect your search rankings in a negative way.
Most of us are not aware of the fact that keywords rank differently on mobile than on a computer. This can prove to be vital, especially when most of your customers use cellular devices more than laptops or desktops.
Also, more than 50
Local SEO is the term used when a user wants information about products, places or services which are nearby to his/her location.
if you are travelling somewhere and need room to stay, you will search the hotels based on that specific location.
Here’s where local SEO comes into play. And we see that the businesses which are marketed according to the local SERP listings succeed tremendously.
Local SEO and mobile optimization are closely connected to each other. As a person will make use of his/her mobile device more often when he seeks a local product or service.
Local SEO optimization can be achieved by:
- Localizing a website – This is a popular practice where a local service provider includes the name of his city or country to make his website appear in the search listings when a user searches for a specific location.
- Citations – If your business is listed on the business directories and other sites that provide citations. Then it will gradually make your website rank better.
- However, only adding an address, name of your business etc. Will not prove to be enough as you will also have to add some useful information to attract traffic.
- Reviews – User reviews matter the most when you are marketing your services online. Therefore honest and good reviews can help you climb the SEO ladder to some extent.
Some common mistakes made by SEO experts
Everyone claims to be an expert of SEO but a very few of them actually understand the true meaning and value of it. There are so many SEO experts in the market and most of them are beginners.
Therefore, it is natural to get conflicting views and suggestions on the same problem. It is also difficult to examine the true results of a particular move because everything you do seems to be working in your favor.
This leads to confusion and you are not able to gauge the effectiveness of an SEO strategy or idea in particular.
However, you can neglect the common mistakes made by the SEO practitioners. So that you can sail your website on the shore more easily.
Google Ranking Factors
Now after this let us look upon some Google ranking factors. These are some of the factors that Google measures in order to rank a website on SERPs. Although no one knows the exact number of factors but it is estimated that there are more than 200 factors.
So I have prepared the detailed list of factors that matters the most when it comes to rankings…
You will need to read this carefully in order to get better rankings in SERP. Google SEO ranking will help you get more traffic and will help you earn more.
Let’s get started….
Domain Level Factors
So, there are a few important factors that you need to look at. They are basically on your domain and its structure and age.
- The domain needs to be 6 months older or more. Well, this is just a myth. It does not depend on your domain age to rank on Google however it is a factor when it comes to increasing your domain authority.
- You must have the focus keyword in the URL of your domain. I will not say it is that important but if you do that you have some advantage over others.
- Domain length must be good. It is a very important SEO strategy that influences your ranking. It is a major in our SEO ranking factors list. So, make sure your domain length is good and a decent one.
Site Level Factors
When it comes to search engine ranking factors site-level factors play a major role in determining your rankings. Keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure the page speed of your site is good. This means your site should load super fast. For that, you can use accelerated mobile pages which is a great way to increase page load speed.
- Your website must provide a great user experience and must be mobile friendly. Create a mobile version of your site. For doing that you can create a mobile app in order to serve the readers need.
- You must optimize your website for mobile devices.
- Mobile first index is a good sign because Google uses a machine learning algorithm to rank websites.
SEO Ranking Factors
- On Page SEO:
- Adjust your title tag.
- Use your focus keyword in both title and meta description tags.
- Do proper keyword researching.
- Write Detailed Content with real-time data.
- Internal linking will also help but do not use the same anchor text too many times.
2. Off Page SEO:
- Do proper content marketing. That means help others by providing them with your content so that they could recommend it to others. By doing this you will get more exposure.
- Social media marketing will do the work for you. It helps your website become popular on social media and will send Google positive ranking signals. Share your content on a regular basis to get more exposure and more social shares.
- Guest Blogging: It is the best way to rank your website by using other popular websites. All you have to do is to submit quality guest posts on another website. It will also increase your backlinks count.
Myths About Google Ranking
Apart from these important Google Ranking Factors, there are some myths also that will help you not get in dilemma or illusion when it comes to your SERP rankings. They are as follows:
- Most of the people think that linking their analytics and search console account improves rankings: Well, I hate to say it will not because they are for user use only they provide information to the site owner about their visitors, session duration, bounce rate etc.
- Only linking to relevant sources improves your rankings: This is just another piece of trash in the myth list. If you do not write high-quality content then just outlinking to high-quality sources will not do the work for you.
There some ranking signals that sends positive feedback to Google to rank your website high. Let us discuss about the 6 important signals in detail…
Top 6 Google Ranking Signals
What are Google Ranking signals? Do you know that Google uses more than 200 ranking factors to rank a website or page on the first page?
A ranking signal is the indications that tell Google that your website is relevant for its users and can provide great value to them. These ranking signals help you in ranking your website better on SERPs.
Search engines use these signals in order to rank a web page for a searched keyword.
# 1 – Branding Of Your Website
Branding of your website is very important because this tells Google that your website is popular and believe me this is the single factor that can shot up your rankings in no time.
For example– Coca Cola a famous beverage brand has more than 70M followers but back in the day, they did not have this massive fan following.
What did they do in order to get this much fan following? They consistently improved their user experience and got positive feedback for their product. This tells Google that the brand is popular as more and more people perform searches for Coca-Cola.
So try to build and create awareness about your brand.
#2 – Optimize For User Search Query
An important Google ranking signal that helps Google in understanding how valuable your website and whether it satisfies its users or not.
If people are reviewing your content as great or good or they are rating it. This will help you in ranking higher for that user query if your content is great in users eyes.
In a recent study by the market leaders, Moz reveals that review signals account for about of the ranking for a keyword search.
#3 – Word Count
You know things change drastically and so as Google Ranking Signals does. They keep on changing so that to improve google search results.
Earlier writing super thorough content was must in order to rank but today it depends what the searches want. So keep your content appropriate for your readers. Try to be to the point and do not stretch small topics too long.
Search metrics studies and data show that word count between 1400-2526 is the best for ranking.
#4 – Links And SEO
Link building and that too high quality is a hard job. Also using your target keyword in your title tag is and meta description is a dinosaur tactic. Quality links ensure high rankings and SEO is responsible for about 21% of the ranking signals on Google.
Take a look at this data below:
Getting more links helps in ranking higher. Avoid keyword stuffing and try to get links from other quality websites.
#5 – Social Signals
Social signals are the key signs that help Google in analyzing how popular is your website is on social media.
If your content is great and it’s being shared all over the social media then your rankings will shot up as you will get more and more shares.
#6 – User Retention
User retention is another factor in our 6 important Google ranking signals list. Well, user retention is based on the factors like – bounce rate, click through rate. It tells Google how users are engaging on your website and with your contents.
Create great content and your user retention other users with your contents. That will help you increase your user retention.
Apart from all this, many of the newbies and even experts make mistake. So, here are some critical SEO mistakes that you need to avoid…
Focussing on just one keyword
Focussing on one keyword seems to be a lame idea especially because each one is thinking differently and uses different keywords to search.
Therefore, it will be wiser to optimize your web pages on multiple keywords. And also do not forget to think about keyword topics that incorporate a wide range of relevant and frequently searched terms.
Neglecting old articles and blogs
Instead of thinking on new topics you can pick some of your dated content. And revise it according to the latest keywords and concepts.
Exciting experience plays a big role in attracting the visitors and helps to keep them glued to your site.
One of the factors which spoil the user experience is slow speed. Therefore do not forget to fix the technical issues of your website while implementing SEO techniques.
While most of the SEO practitioners are focussing on external backlinks. You can think differently and introduce internal linking in your web pages to improve their rankings as well.
Neglecting search engines
Google is still the key player amongst the search engines. But other search engines cannot be ignored. Therefore you will have to optimize your content as per these search engines as well.
Most of the SEO experts will tell you about different optimization techniques and methods. But make sure that all of that is going to pay you rewards as well.
Different kinds of businesses require different SEO techniques. For that, you will need an experienced digital marketer. Who has a deep understanding of all the SEO concepts and ideas?
Moving on to next segment…
Wondering that how Google Keyword Planner will increase your traffic drastically?
Don’t worry I am going to tell you some fabulous tips to plan keywords. And increase your organic traffic by 120%.
What Are Keywords?
A keyword is a word or phrase which the user types in the search bar while performing a Google search. This tells the search engine that what you are searching for and it points out the articles containing that word or phrase.
How Should You Choose Right Keywords For Your Website Or Business?
So, this very important term when it comes to search engine rankings that you use the right keywords. It is also an essential step from the SEO point of view. Here are some of the planning tips that you must remember:
- Use different keyword planning tools available in the market.
- Include relevant keywords within your title tag and meta description tag that helps the Google bots to recognize that what your site is about.
- Always go for high CPC keywords that is choose those who have a high cost per click value and a decent search volume.
- Make sure that your article is related to that and is a detailed one.
- Use LSI keywords in your posts.
- Use them throughout your posts to increase search engine visibility.
Mistakes That You Should Avoid While Selecting Keywords:
While selecting keywords there are many precautions that you need to take. If you are not careful then you will not be able to last for a long time. Here are some tips that you should follow to avoid such mistakes:
- Don’t just go for those keywords who have high search volume but low click per click.
- Don’t use the same keyword too many times in your posts.
- Try to use different keywords in each of your posts.
- If you will write the same type of content and will use the same keyword again and again. Your website will be banned by Google.
- You must not include keywords in any copyrighted content in your post.
Google Adwords Keyword Tool
So this is the tool that will help you to succeed in your blogging career. If you understand how to use it and follow all the terms and conditions. Now what this tool will do is that it will help you to select proper keywords for your Google ads and posts.
You should follow the following tips to increase your organic search traffic using this tool:
- First of all, you will need to create a date range for your keyword planning. What I mean by this is that you will need to divide your work each day to perform effectively on the web.
- Create Your Adwords account using your email and other information.
- Then there click on the keyword planner.
- In there type your topic or domain name.
- Thousands of results will be displayed and choose high CPC keywords with decent search volume.
- Create different ad groups using those keywords.
- Look at your Ad impression share eligibility: It is defined as the number of impressions on your website divided by the number of impressions you were eligible for.
- Apart from keyword researching, keep an eye on average monthly searches.
- Also, keep an eye on your average position each month.
Benefits Of Using The Google Keyword Tool
It is very hard to believe for all of us that Google itself provides all the tools that will definitely help you to rank no 1 on Google. Well, let’s look at some of the benefits of using Google Keyword Planner Tool:
- This keyword planner tool will not only help you to find the right keywords for your posts, but it will also help you to increase your readability.
- It gives new keyword ideas that make it easier for you.
- It helps you to make and manage your keyword lists effectively.
Google Keyword Planner tool makes it very easy for you to optimize your blog posts according to latest search algorithms. By providing the right keywords and increasing your search engine visibility.
Google Search Console And Google Trends
If you want to look at the most search terms for your blog posts then search console is best for you. It tells you the number of clicks and impressions on each and every post.
From there you can optimize your website using those keywords that are getting more clicks rather than getting impressions.
Using the search console will improve your search appearance on Google. You will need to submit the sitemap of your website. That will be crawled by Google bots and they will index the pages of your website on Google.
Note: Make sure that your website does not contain any broken or bad URL that points to a bad host or server. This will have a negative effect on Your SEO.
Google Trends is a free keyword researching tool provided by Google that helps in searching for the most searched and trending topics in the world. It also shows you the number of searches per day and in which region, the particular topic searched by you is more popular.
Free Tools For More Accurate Keyword Planning
Apart from the Google Keyword Planner tool, there are many other tools that as effective as the Google tool. They are useful for those who have just started blogging. They will help them to gain some speed and knowledge about planning keywords.
Free tools make it easy for everyone to take their SEO to next level. And I recommend to use some of these tools along with Google Keyword Planner to enhance your search engine rankings.
Here are some of the top-notch tools that you can use
- SEMRUSH: This the best tool that I have ever used in my life. Its great, this tool provides you the keywords that you need to include in your posts. Also, it provides you the LSI keywords.
- It also provides you SEO content writing tool to enhance your content writing and gives you a score so that you can adjust it according to the best available optimizations.
- Everywhere Keyword Planner: It is also a great free tool. It shows you about thousands of keywords to choose from.
- A lot of options means greater chances of getting more traffic. It is also available as a chrome extension. You may use because it’s free and good too.
- Ahrefs: This is the same as SEMrush but the best part of this too is that it also shows you a ranking of your website according to the keywords you enter and use in your blog posts.
- You can use this to build backlinks also and check the backlinks of other websites. Great Isn’t it?
- All these tools are as good as the Google Keyword Planner so use it and rank higher.
Last Tip For Keyword Planning
At last, I will only say that use your money and time wisely especially if you are in online business. Use all the tools that have been mentioned above. They will help with your keyword planning and rank higher on Google.
Remember all the dos and donts given above and keep yourself in the safe zone.
And as I always tell you in my posts is that it’s a long process so be patient because you will be able to see the results after a few weeks. And most importantly don’t panic if you are not performing as well as you expected
So this was the end of our first lesson on ‘What is SEO’ and what are the basics. Now let’s move on to our next chapter.